Surgeon’s Knowledge Directly Influences Treatment Success
Knowledge and skills of surgeons differ widely for any operation even within the same hospital; they certainly differ within a region or a country.
Learn as much as you can about the surgery. I strongly recommend second opinions. If there is consensus in the indications and the intended procedure among at least two, sometimes even three well-seasoned senior surgeons, it gives you confidence that you are making the right decision. And that is first and foremost.
– Boston spine surgeon
(40 years of experience)
Healthcare has no price or quality transparency. But an era of keeping patients in the dark about all treatment options is ending.
The first thing is still education. It’s still convincing other doctors that this is worth doing. There are still huge gaps in knowledge amongst doctors, who still think, ‘Oh, my God! You’re going to die’ – and do nothing. People just don’t understand what you can now do, they have not progressed in 30 years. This is where the Internet is very important. People can look on the Internet and say, ‘Why can I get these results at that hospital, and my doctor in my hospital says that it’s not possible?’
– British cancer surgeon
(45 years of experience)
All doctors know that patients are notoriously weak at picking proper metrics of physician quality. Hence existence of fancy medical offices.
You have more information about a steam iron you want to buy than about your neurosurgeon. There is a lot of reasons for that. Assessing quality in most of surgery is doubly difficult as it would be in any other part of medicine. Mortality is mostly low, it’s not a very good indicator of clinical outcomes in many surgical subspecialties.
– California brain tumor surgeon and clinical outcomes expert
- We dive into doctor’s research, published record of case series, methods of surgery, studies of surgical anatomy.
- We see who the doctor collaborates with – because quality and diversity of collaborators can signal certain skills.
- We consult with our global network of experts for feedback on methods and leaders for treatment of client’s disease.
- We compare different sources of information and see how they relate to your specific situation.